Have you worked with Distributed (Agile) Teams, what was your experience, what did you like most about it and what were the challenges?
For me, I have worked with remote teams earlier as well, however, recently I have started working extensively with Distributed Agile Teams and the experience has been so far fulfilling and really interesting. I am working as Agile/Scrum coach, and building the sense and feeling of “Team” for people sitting in the remote location is challenging and exciting as well.
It requires a lot effort from everyone in the team as well to open up and gel together. This is fun for me, I like building people into a team, gelling letters into meaningful words and people into teams.
I have been following rework.withgoogle.com and I really got interested in “Understand Team effectiveness“. One key tool that has always helped me is “Foster psychological safety“. It is important for building teams that are co-located and also those who are working remotely. It is light on the tongue but heavy on the scale of building a Team, and worth doing it.
Thus, the distance in a Team, in my opinion, is mostly Psychological and sometimes Physical, that’s what I think. Do you think the same? I have seen people sitting together and not communicating effectively, on the other hand, people sitting across the globe and communicating and producing results. Isn’t it the Psychological ingredient important?
So I held a Team Building for Distributed Agile Teams, to increase the amount of this key ingredient item in the teams. Building a team is as important as building a software product. I think, to build an innovative software product, focus and time should be spent on building the team, perhaps the seven statements of tool “Foster psychological safety“
- If you make a mistake on this team, it is often held against you.
- Members of this team are able to bring up problems and tough issues.
- People on this team sometimes reject others for being different.
- It is safe to take a risk on this team.
- It is difficult to ask other members of this team for help.
- No one on this team would deliberately act in a way that undermines my efforts.
- Working with members of this team, my unique skills and talents are valued and utilized.
How do you foster psychological safety in your co-located and distributed teams?